Read full review
2015-04-06 196 views
こんにちは! お元気ですか? On 29 March 2015 i was invited to Openrice Gathering at Ippudo, Pacific Place (5th floor). Maybe some of us already Ippudo and they already opened here since last year. They have more than 80 stores in Japan and more than 40 stores worldwide including London, New York, Sydney, Hong Kong, China, Philippines and Indonesia. Before i go further for the meetup detail, let's talk about the history & background of this successful ramen restaurant. Ippudo was founded in 1985 by Ramen King
こんにちは! お元気ですか? On 29 March 2015 i was invited to Openrice Gathering at Ippudo, Pacific Place (5th floor). Maybe some of us already Ippudo and they already opened here since last year. They have more than 80 stores in Japan and more than 40 stores worldwide including London, New York, Sydney, Hong Kong, China, Philippines and Indonesia. Before i go further for the meetup detail, let's talk about the history & background of this successful ramen restaurant. Ippudo was founded in 1985 by Ramen King Shigemi Kawahara in Fukuoka city. Ippudo litteraly means "one wind hall" because at the time, there were dark clouds over the Kyushu ramen industry, this is the symbolic for the restaurant "blow wind and revolutionizing the ramen era at that time". Why he being called as King Ramen? He was titled as the ramen king because of his three consecutive winnings for first place on a ramen-making Japanese television show. He continuously innovates the way of ramen like creating Hakata-style tonkotsu (pork-based) ramen, which has their signature creamy broth and now IPPUDO very well known in a global scale. This is why no wonder people willing to queue up for a long time in every Ippudo branches.
As the first Ippudo outlet, the size of the resto quite spacious. Ippudo really maintain their concept interior design of the resto for all their stores such bowls hanging on the wall, black wall, and wooden tables. There are huge chandeliers in the resto, giving high class value yet classy. For service very responsive and informative.
In this gathering, i was introduced to Ibu Amanda as Marketing Manager and Mr. Miyazaki. The purpose of this meetup is Ippudo will releasing their 3 new ramen menu and seasonal chef spesial menu. As we can see above photo, they talked lil about their new ramen. They introduced new ramen like: Akamaru Kakuni, Shiromaru Kakuni and Karaka Kakuni. For seasonal chef special they introduced: Deep-fried Squid with Nori, Hot Potato Salad & Kushi Katsu. Ibu Amanda also teached us how to enjoy ramen and the japanese called it 'zuzutto' (sound of slurp while we enjoy noodle). There are 3 steps to enjoy ramen: sip, slurp and top. Looks very interesting isn't it? Here we go for the full review for foods!
First they introduced the seasonal chef menu before we go for ramen:
Deep-Fried Squid with Nori
- Deep-fried squid served with a cut of lemon and mayonnaise. Quite crispy and very chewy while we eat it. It tasted good and not too oily. Unfortunately the nori not so dominant and losing as the main key of this menu.
Hot Potato Salad
- It covered with melted cheese and tobiko on top while they put broccoli inside. Honestly it's really healthy food because the broccoli really winning this salad. Broccoli is a very healthy and can prevent cancer. Overall, enjoyable!
- Crispy pork katsu which i can't deny to say this one really good. For the outer part with perfect crispiness level and the texture inside quite soft yet savory. Plus the sauce boost our appetite even more! Yummy!
FYI, for ramen we can choose 3 types of ramen: soft, normal and Hard.
- Premium pork belly served with original broth, bean sprouts, spring onions and tauge. Kakuni really soft & juicy and the soup taste very delicious. Perfect seasoning on the pork belly. Really recommended menu.
- It actually almost the same as Shiromaru Kakuni but the difference is that using miso sauce and served with red bowl. This is the reason why it called Akamaru which mean red bowl. The color of the soup not as white as shiromaru. The taste just light and mild. Quite good
- From the appearance already looks so red, this one is the spicy version of ramen. Maybe for japanese they can call it hot and spicy but for Indonesian still plain not amd not hot enough. The taste still good with lil savory but not hot enough!
Overall, i have to admit Ippudo is one of the best ramen restaurant by offering good food, ambience and service. Thank you Bu Amanda and Mr Miyazaki for Ippudo team and not to forget the Openrice team ( Viona & Yenny) for welcoming us and make this gathering meetup to happen.
Oh yeah, all the best to Yenny because it's your last gathering as Openrice team and welcome to foodies!