Before I start on the Peranakan food, let me just ramble about the beautiful interior at the historical Tugu Kunstkring. I was seated in the Pangeran Diponegoro room, which offers a classic vintage ambiance that would even satisfy the queens and kings. The restaurant provides several other rooms such as the Soekarno 1950 Room and the Suzie Wong Lounge, which also have a magnificent interior. Other than dining rooms, it has a bakery located outside of the building and a gallery shop. There was a sweet and floral fragrance across the rooms, of which I have no idea how it left me feeling nostalgic.

Food:
Nasi Uduk (Steamed rice cooked in coconut milk)
Flavorful! Sometimes, it is necessary to get away from the basic steamed white rice.
Kunstkring Lobster Salad (IDR 128K++)
Love the chunky lobster, even though it was buried under a moundof vegetables. Too bad, the salad was bland. I could not taste any fresh, tangy flavor from the dish.
Bitterballen (IDR 58K++)
The restaurant executed this Dutch delicacy in perfection. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. It made an excellent appetizer.
Bebek Opor (IDR 118K++)
A joyful humble of duck meats in a kicking savory coconut curry broth. I thought it would be a little spicy for my weak taste bud, but it turned out I could still handle the spiciness. On the other side, I would love the meats to be more tender.
Sayoer Lodeh Pepaja Betawi (IDR 68K++)
A traditional Indonesian dish that is too pity to miss out. The rich broth was loaded with healthful vegetables. It had a nice, spicy taste that would tingle your taste bud.
Buffalo Satay
Did some research on Zomato, and found quite a lot of people ordering the satay. I could not find it on the menu, but I asked the waiter, and luckily he understood what I meant. Nothing beats this ultimately tender satay and its sweetness that worth feasting on. Just don’t be surprised when you eat, as there is less meat than how it looks.
Rolled Salmon Ravioli w/ Crab Sauce (IDR 98K++)It tasted like pure happiness. The ravioli was perfectly soft, and the salmon was incredibly moist. Love the explosive savory flavor hidden in the crab sauce. The crisp almonds and sweet potato added more character to the plate, eliminating any tedious elements.
Drinks:Although I do not remember what they were, the drinks were certainly fizzy and flaunted a satisfying fresh flavor.
The food was pleasurable, but it did not go beyond my expectation and was somewhat far from being authentic. I also found it unnecessary for Indonesians like me, who have experienced the beauty of the local cuisine since birth, to visit the restaurant frequently. Despite, the intimate and cultural Tugu Kunstkring can be an excellent dining spot to celebrate your memorable events or to treat your foreign pals. It is an elegant place to learn about the Indonesian heritage while enjoying some fancy delicacies.
Biterballen
Kunstkring Lobster Salad
Rp128000
Bebek Opor
Rp118000
Other Info. : Nostalgic and historical interior, an excellent dining spot to invite foreign pals,
Taste
Rp 98000
Bitterballen
Rp 58000
  • bitterballen
  • sayoer lodeh pepaja betawi
  • buffalo satay
  • salmon ravioli in crab sauce