2015-03-06 68 views
Before we discuss about the restaurant, I just want to share a few interesting facts about quails. First of all, quail is low in cholestrol so it is a good alternative for people who suffer from heart disease and high blood pressure. It also contains nutrition from vitamin B, E and K. That is not the end. There are so many benefits for consuming quail meats that you can search in the internet. I can’t discuss all of them here because it would take up more than two pages.Warung means a small shop
Warung means a small shop and sangrai means cooking without oil. I don’t know how they get that name but Warung Sangrai was first established in Bandung and they mainly serve quails.
In late 2014, they decided to open another branch at PIK, one of the fastest growing culinary destinations in Jakarta.
The restaurant has been so popular ever since it was opened. Never once, I found the place empty whenever I went to places near the restaurant.
The place was not too big but not small either. It has two types of dining room. One is the regular room where people can eat while seating on chairs. The other one is the lesehan (means: sit on the floor without chair). I wanted to sit at the lesehan room but it was full. So, my family was seated at the end of the regular room.
Our Meals
Original French Quail (IDR 29K++): Puyuh Perancis Original
The waiter told us that the French was meatier than the local one so we didn’t hesitate when we decided on the French quails, as we are huge fans of meats whether white or red. This original French quail was nothing but crisp and meaty. I also like the mild saltiness. It came with a small bowl of sambal (chili) so it would be perfect for both a non-sambal and sambal lover that loves to eat something crispy.
Gocap French Quail (IDR 31K++): Puyuh Perancis + Saus Gocap
If you prefer something more flavorful but you can’t or don’t like to chili, you should order the Gocap French Quail. It was drizzled with sweet soy sauce so yup it was sweet.
Sambal Endeus French Quail (IDR 32K++):
Puyuh Perancis + Sambal Endeus
I thought it would be sweeter than spicy but the flavor of sambal was more kicking.
Rawit French Quail (IDR 32K++): Puyuh Perancis + Saus Rawit
Bursting with spiciness! So HOT!
Red Rice (IDR 7K++): Nasi Merah
I’ve eaten red rice before and this one was a bit hard compared to the pervious one I had.
Sarang Komplit (IDR 13K++)
The dish comprised of fried tofu, fried tempeh (fermented soybean cake), and some raw vegetables.
I’m surprised that they weren’t that oily. The fact that the tofu and tempeh were appropriately seasoned is another plus point. I also like the fact that the tempeh was thinly cut so it was extremely crisp.
Tahu Cabe Garam (IDR 13K++)
Tofu seasoned with salt and topped with pieces of chili.
The tofu was crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Don’t think that it wouldn’t be spicy at all! Even if you don’t eat it with the chili, it was spicy.
Some of you may be wondering how does the quail taste. I’d say it tasted like chicken. All of the French quails were juicy and meaty. I love them all. Btw, you can choose to eat it with any of 6 sauces or you can eat it without any sauce. If you are still scared to try the quail, just go for the fried chicken. You can still enjoy it with any of the sauces.
All of the food in Warung Sangrai was well executed, except of the rice if I must say.
I wish the restaurant will keep serving awesome food despite of the crowds since I've seen some restaurants that used to serve pleasurable dishes now serve undesirable food.
Puyuh Perancis Original